Saturday, July 21, 2007

Harry Potter mania!!

Ohh maaan! Today was like..the bestt day ever! I was assigned to cashier downstairs, and man! the most humongous crowd I've ever seen!!

I was only suppose to be at work at 6.30 (thank god) ,while some of my colleague had to reach at 6am.. At the Curve's basement parking, I noticed that a group of people standing at the door,close to the lift and so decided to ask,why were they hanging around there? And they said that they were waiting for the Harry Potter to be released.. Apparently,the Curve's guard wouldn't let them into the shopping mall till 6.45am! I got stopped as well,and thats when I flash him my Border's staff card :D
Soo,we were only suppose to start selling at 7.01am or we'll get sued and stuff if we sell it earlier.. There wasn't a crowd at 6.30 but at 6.50,everyone was running into a line outside..hehe we heard alot of sneaker's shuffling (mostly kids). Well,everyone was trying to get first in line cause Borders is giving out 20 Gift Certificate worth 30 ringgit and 30 breakfast at Starbucks. Oh,and the Sun has this promotion where if u can guess the clues,you win the book. So,I guess thats what the kids in the front line were after.. You could hear people shouting and shaking the shutter of the store just trying to get in. Man,was that scary :(

So,7.01am arrives,and the shutter lifts . Man! Thank god for queue lines and crowd control patrollers! Many ran to the Information Counter for the redemption of clues while the rest went to the cashier for the book. Oh man,never have I sweat this much. The Damn Air-conditioner isn't even on! (well,it is technically still 7am..) And soo many flashes from cameras (I hide when a camera shows *though I would check the newspaper just for fun :P*) I was so nervous and all this people looming at you,wanting the transaction done fast,fast,FAST! I was cool..i think..

At 10am,thats when the crowd died down, but things were still busy. What I heard from my managers,is that the other bookstores such as MPH,Times and Popular are boycotting against hypermarkets, by not selling the Harry Potter. :O shocking,shocking. Well,I mean who could blame them? Hypermarkets such as Tesco and Carrefour are selling the book for ONLY RM69.90 while we're selling it at full price (we do have promotions and stuff but it's still more than 69.90). According to the newspapers, the other bookstores are NOT going to sell the Harry Potter,so that leaves Borders and Kinukuniya with the crowds. Huh,and they're excuse was,"Our prices has always been low,thats why we're selling the book in a low price". Pfft! They should just stick to groceries.
By 4.30pm we were already running low on the books. Man! Its going so fast,probably cause MPH,Times and Popular are not selling their's. Hehe,some of us had to dress up (Me too,but i chickened out)

Hehe,thats my colleagues all dressed up :)

And that's after a hard's day at work. Ahhh,next stop,sleeeeepppp

No comments: